Urban Missionaries: A Life Given to Christ
The St. Paul Street Evangelization Urban Missionary Program offers the opportunity to become a full-time, paid missionary with St. Paul Street Evangelization. Our missionary program is not limited to college students. Any adult can apply.
Inspired by the mandate of Jesus and the call of the Church to proclaim the Good News to all people, the Urban Missionary is responsible for spear-heading the New Evangelization in his or her assigned region. Not content to sit on the side-lines, the Missionary enthusiastically engages in street evangelization and works to inspire, train, and assist local Catholics in the spreading of the Gospel. This is accomplished through practical and achievable means in conformity with the goals and practices of St. Paul Street Evangelization and the Catholic Church.
An Urban Missionary:
- Is an intentional Catholic disciple of Jesus Christ.
- Is rooted in prayer including daily Mass, Rosary, and personal prayer time.
- Collaborates with local Catholic leaders & organizations including Pastors, Parish Groups, Religious Houses, Third Order Communities, Schools, Lay Communities, & Social Groups.
- Is actively engaged in local Street Evangelization.
- Supports current street evangelization teams.
- Plants new teams.
- Runs small groups.
- Offers free talks on evangelization.
- Trains other evangelists.
- Promotes & advertises St. Paul Street Evangelization in order to advance the work of the New Evangelization.
- Reads and studies Sacred Scripture, Church documents, writings of the popes and saints, and the materials from the St. Paul Street Evangelization national office.
- Closely connects with the National Office & assists with national tasks as needed.
Become an Urban Missionary
Potential Urban Missionaries are active members of their local SPSE team and have normally served as a team leader. Any active member may be considered for the Urban Missionary Program, but evidence must be submitted before hand that they have taken the time to discern their call to full time missionary work with their pastor or spiritual director.
- Inform the national office of your intent by submitting a written cover letter with your updated resume.
- Submit evidence of your activity with your local street evangelization team.
- Submit evidence of your discernment with your pastor or spiritual director.
- A phone interview will be scheduled with Adam Janke, Program Director of St. Paul Street Evangelization. Email: email@example.com
- Candidates are then accepted into the program for a probationary period. During this period they are required to raise their own funds for SRS Bootcamp, which teaches them how to raise their own salary as missionaries.
- After successful completion of SRS bootcamp candidates spend the first 3-6 months raising their own salary full time. Salary is determined by life circumstances (single, married, family, physical location). This is the most difficult part of becoming a full time missionary. You must be prepared for the possibility you will not be paid for 3-6 months. It is not possible to work two jobs during this time in order to be successful in raising your salary.
- Once your salary is raised you will begin your work as a regional missionary. In future years it takes much less time to maintain your salary.
Current Urban Missionaries
Hi! My name is Joanne Fields and I am blessed to serve as a full-time Urban Missionary of St. Paul Street Evangelization. I hold a bachelor’s degree from Christendom College where I double-majored in philosophy and theology as well as Master’s degree in theology from the John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage & Family. My duties take me all over the Maryland, DC and Northern Virginia area as I help parishes and individual take up their responsibility to become involved with the New Evangelization. Much of my focus is directed toward the planting and supporting of new SPSPE teams, but I also offer workshops and help organize Small Groups. My experience in founding the Gaithersburg, MD team in 2014 and leading our group on weekly outings for the last two years has been invaluable as I now help others to do the same. I find great joy in sharing the Good News on the streets of our cities and have observed first hand how evangelization transforms both those who do the evangelizing and those who receive the message of the Gospel.
Hello, my name is Randy Husaynu and I live in the metro Detroit area of the state of Michigan. I am married, have one daughter, and enjoy spending time with my family, as well as golfing, biking, rollerblading, and spending time with Jesus. I work full time as a Senior Missionary Evangelist for St. Paul Urban Missionaries, employed by St. Paul Street Evangelization. I am dedicated to the mission of the Catholic Church to proclaim the Good News of the Gospel, make disciples of Christ, and lead all souls to heaven.
I am inspired by the mandate of Jesus and the call of the Church to proclaim the Good News to all people, (Mt. [28:19]-20) and being responsible for spear-heading the New Evangelization in my assigned region. I enthusiastically engage in street evangelization and works to inspire, train, and assist local Catholics in the spreading of the Gospel, and through the power of the Holy Spirit, transforming lives. It is my vision that every Child of God will one day live with His heavenly Father for eternity.