- Get Involved
- Prayer Requests
Philadelphia - Lower Bucks County, PACountry: United States
State or province: Pennsylvania
Recent Blog Posts
Saint Paul Street Evangelization in Suburban Station on 07 Dec 2019, the Feast of Saint Ambrose
December 8, 2019
Nancy and Deacon Mark attended Mass at Saint Christopher’s Parish in NE Philadelphia at 8 AM before heading downtown to the Cathedral parking lot. It was chilly enough that the parking lot had black ice and caused Nancy to slip as she emerged from her van, so we opted to go to the warmth and shelter of nearby Suburban Station. It sometimes takes a bit of effort for us to go out and evangelize in less than optimal weather, but the Lord never fails to reward the sacrifice of our time, especially in this very busy season of Advent. It took but a minute after setting up our station to receive our first visitors, and we had many wonderful encounters over the next 90 minutes. Our last encounter in the train station (but not the very last, which occurred in front of the cathedral), we met a middle-aged man with two teenaged girls. They were from a Methodist church in Delaware, but had spent the night in the basement of a church in Roxborough before heading downtown today to help feed and clothe the homeless in center-city Philadelphia. They originally walked past our stand after we wished them a happy advent, but the girls convinced their chaperone to come back and talk with us. They were all very kind and personable, and accepted the crucifixes that we gave them before joining in a huddle to pray for our missions. How blessed we all felt as we parted ways with a renewed sense of purpose in our various efforts to bring the good news to the poor and oppressed!
Please consider joining us later this month for another session of street evangelization, and say a prayer for the following people whom we met:
- Isadore, a woman who is suffering from spiritual warfare and who was extremely grateful to Nancy for praying with her, saying that she made her day.
- Dennis, who is hoping that he will be approved for Section 8 Housing on Tuesday.
- Taylor, for healing of his heart.
- Chris, for his general intentions.
- Shady, who is homeless and apparently suffering from mental problems.
- Edward, who asked us to pray for his well-being and who learned how to pray the Hail Mary with Nancy.
- Mia, for the gift of patience.
- Kennan, for better finances and the gift of the Holy Spirit, who filled him visibly with joy after praying with Nancy.
- Emir, a Septa employee who has a three-month-old boy also named Emir, and who prays for good health for his son.
- Michael, who is seeking shelter, restored finances and the ability to sense the presence of his deceased daughter Michelle.
- Jill, a well-groomed and articulate peace activist who is homeless and living out of a duffle bag in Suburban Station. She took a religious medal and allowed us to pray with her, but is not seeking anything other than peace in this world.
- Rhoda, a well-educated woman in her 50s who formerly worked as a counselor and educator, and who has been homeless for 13 months. She is polite, well-spoken and kind, and it was shocking to listen to her pour out her story. She was housed for a short time in a government shelter but the landlord made life miserable for her and forced her back out onto the streets. After a lengthy conversation, Deacon Mark took her to Dunkin Donuts a few feet away and treated her to breakfast, as she had not yet eaten.
- Ronnie, a 50-year-old man who lost one child from a birth defect years ago and whose 26-year-old son Shawn is currently in jail for 9 months in Norristown for violating his parole by using marijuana. Ronnie himself had to clean up his act as a young man and is now a fervent Christian, and has an impressive knowledge of the Bible. He accepted a crucifix and prayed with us for Shawn.
- Rob, who is currently homeless but starting a new job next week. He is estranged from his wife Valerie, with whom he has seven children, and wants them to get back together again.
- Anthony, who is homeless and looking for housing.
- Steven, who is asking for God’s blessing and help with multiple problems in his life.
- Ron, who is asking for God’s protection in his life.
- Jimmy, who is praying for world peace and shelter.
- Nancy, who is looking for a new job after being laid off recently.
- Molly & Richard, a Puerto Rican couple who are seeking housing, who prayed with us, received crucifixes and were very touched by Nancy’s generous gift toward a meal.