Urban Missionaries: A Life Given to Christ
The St. Paul Street Evangelization Urban Missionary Program offers the opportunity to become a full-time, paid missionary with St. Paul Street Evangelization. Our missionary program is not limited to college students. Any adult can apply.
Inspired by the mandate of Jesus and the call of the Church to proclaim the Good News to all people, the Urban Missionary is responsible for spear-heading the New Evangelization in his or her assigned region. Not content to sit on the side-lines, the Missionary enthusiastically engages in street evangelization and works to inspire, train, and assist local Catholics in the spreading of the Gospel. This is accomplished through practical and achievable means in conformity with the goals and practices of St. Paul Street Evangelization and the Catholic Church.
An Urban Missionary:
- Is an intentional Catholic disciple of Jesus Christ.
- Is rooted in prayer including daily Mass, Rosary, and personal prayer time.
- Collaborates with local Catholic leaders & organizations including Pastors, Parish Groups, Religious Houses, Third Order Communities, Schools, Lay Communities, & Social Groups.
- Is actively engaged in local Street Evangelization.
- Supports current street evangelization teams.
- Plants new teams.
- Runs small groups.
- Offers free talks on evangelization.
- Trains other evangelists.
- Promotes & advertises St. Paul Street Evangelization in order to advance the work of the New Evangelization.
- Reads and studies Sacred Scripture, Church documents, writings of the popes and saints, and the materials from the St. Paul Street Evangelization national office.
- Closely connects with the National Office & assists with national tasks as needed.
Become an Urban Missionary
Potential Urban Missionaries are active members of their local SPSE team and have normally served as a team leader. Any active member may be considered for the Urban Missionary Program, but evidence must be submitted before hand that they have taken the time to discern their call to full time missionary work with their pastor or spiritual director.
- Inform the national office of your intent by submitting a written cover letter with your updated resume.
- Submit evidence of your activity with your local street evangelization team.
- Submit evidence of your discernment with your pastor or spiritual director.
- A phone interview will be scheduled with Adam Janke, Program Director of St. Paul Street Evangelization. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidates are then accepted into the program for a probationary period. During this period they are required to raise their own funds for SRS Bootcamp, which teaches them how to raise their own salary as missionaries.
- After successful completion of SRS bootcamp candidates spend the first 3-6 months raising their own salary full time. Salary is determined by life circumstances (single, married, family, physical location). This is the most difficult part of becoming a full time missionary. You must be prepared for the possibility you will not be paid for 3-6 months. It is not possible to work two jobs during this time in order to be successful in raising your salary.
- Once your salary is raised you will begin your work as a regional missionary. In future years it takes much less time to maintain your salary.
Current Urban Missionaries
I am inspired by the mandate of Jesus and the call of the Church to proclaim the Good News to all people, (Mt. 28:19-20) and being responsible for spear-heading the New Evangelization in my assigned region. I enthusiastically engage in street evangelization and works to inspire, train, and assist local Catholics in the spreading of the Gospel, and through the power of the Holy Spirit, transforming lives. It is my vision that every Child of God will one day live with His heavenly Father for eternity.